The Best Way to Reach out to Friends and Family for a successful Brick Fundraiser
Think about your brick fundraising strategy like peeling an onion from the inside out. The best fundraisers start by asking their closest contacts first (the core) and progressively working outward to more distant contacts (the outer skin).
Why would you do that?
- Your closest contacts are the ones most likely to donate, more remote contacts are less like to donate.
- Studies show that as you make progress towards your fundraising goal people become more and more likely to donate to you (success breeds success!).
- When you start with your closest contacts and work outwards, you ensure that you build up progress from your core supporters before you reach out to the people who are less likely to donate.
- This means maximizing your chances of successfully meeting (or exceeding) your brick fundraising goal!
Getting Started Action Items
A good starting point plan usually looks something like this:
- Day 1 Email #1: Send to 10 very close contacts (family and your closest friend or two).
- Day 2 Email #2: Send to 10-50 close contacts (your entire circle of good friends).
- Day 3 Email #3: Send to as many other contacts that you feel comfortable sending a message to (co-workers, friends of friends, distant relatives, your entire address book, etc.).
- Day 4 Social Media & Beyond Promote via Social Media to anyone who will listen.
And, don’t be afraid to send follow up emails! Your close friends and family won’t mind hearing from you a few times.